Dearborn High School Electronic Device Policy
Personal electronic devices can be distracting to the learning process. This includes, but is not limited to, cell phones, airpods, headphones, iPads, personal use electronics, etc.
To support our mission of educating students, we are asking students not to bring any electronic device to DHS to be used throughout the school day. If a student does choose to bring them to school, it is expected that they follow the policy below:
Students may use personal electronic devices on school property during the following designated
● Before the start of the school day until 7:10 a.m., when our first bell rings
● During a student’s lunch time, but ONLY in the cafeteria
● After school is dismissed, 2:15 p.m.
Throughout the school day, ALL electronic devices should be turned off, out of sight, and locked/secured properly.
If a student is found to have an electronic device outside of the designated times listed above, the student will be asked to turn it over to a staff member. Devices that are collected by staff will be turned into the student’s administrator who will address the infraction according to our student code of conduct.
● First Violation: Phone will be given to the student’s administrator and a parent or guardian will be contacted.
● Second Violation: Phone will be given to the student’s administrator and a parent or guardian will be contacted; the device will be held for three consecutive school days.
● Third Violation: Phone will be given to the student’s administrator and a meeting with a parent or guardian will be required. Student will be disciplined according to the student code of conduct for insubordination.
● Additional Violation: The student will be disciplined according to the student code of conduct for insubordination.
Should a student refuse to turn in their device when requested to do so by a staff member; the staff member will contact the office and the student will be immediately escorted to the office to meet with administration. This will result in a referral for insubordination.
Dearborn High School is not responsible or liable for any theft, loss, or damage to any student’s personal electronic device. In order to prevent this from possibly occurring, students are encouraged to keep their devices at home.
We appreciate the support of our parents and guardians to eliminate distractions, academic dishonesty, and disruptions during the school day. If there is a family emergency, parents or guardians should call 313.827.1600.